Fundamentals of the Opportunity Finance Industry
1 hour 30 minutes
This course is currently full, however, a waitlist is available.
MACDC is partnering with MGCC and the Center for Impact Finance at the University of New Hampshire's Carsey School of Public Policy to offer Fundamentals of the Opportunity Finance Industry, a course for CDFI's and CDCs in the small business lending space in Massachusetts.
The Fundamentals of the Opportunity Finance Industry course is designed for practitioners who are interested in expanding their knowledge of the basics of the opportunity finance industry, which provides financing and financial services to low-income, low-wealth, and other disadvantaged people and communities. You will earn a certificate of completion from UNH. Michael Swack, Director of the Carsey School’s Center for Impact Finance will be leading this course. He was appointed by Biden to U.S. Community Development Advisory Board. You can read more about him here: https://www.unh.edu/unhtoday/2021/09/michael-swack-appointed-by-president-biden-community-development-advisory-board
The goal of this certificate course is to develop the knowledge and capacity of community development finance professionals so that they can productively contribute to expanding their organizations’ capacity and impact. The primary objectives are to:
- Provide participants with an understanding of the history, models, products, and players in the opportunity finance field.
- Expose participants to best practices and trends in financing, capitalization, and operations of community development financial institutions (CDFIs).
- Inform participants about impact measurement and evaluation as well as key policy issues impacting the industry.
- Learn about portfolio policies and management as well as underwriting loans to CDFI borrower
- Four 90mins virtual workshops
- 2-3 case studies per week as class preparation
- Online weekly discussion participation on class whiteboard
- An estimated 3.5-4hrs per week time commitment.